Monday, November 7, 2011

TRUST

On Saturday night, I had the opportunity to go rock climbing at The Quarry with a few of my roommates and our friend Adam. It was very fun, and definitely an arm workout! My roommate Allyson was my partner. One of us would climb as the other one would belay, and then we would switch. As I climbed up the wall for the first time, I was scared to fall because I wasn't sure how the whole belay thing worked. The only type of rock climbing I had done previous to this experience was on the Army's rock wall where you didn't need a belayer. As I reached the top for the first time, I was hesitant to lean back and put my trust in the knot that was connecting me to the belay rope. I finally built up the courage and relied on Allyson, my belayer, to gently lead me back to solid ground. After we succeeded the first time, it was a lot easier to do it the next few times. We had an enjoyable time, and I am glad that I had a belayer who would always tighten the slack and catch me whenever I got to a hard spot in the wall and had to let go. She was also very encouraging from the bottom, always pushing me to keep going and to not give up. 
When I got back to my apartment that night, I skyped my mom and little brother who were in Montana visiting my Grandma Brown. I talked to my little brother, Torey, first and as I talked to him I watched my mom help my grandma into bed. With not much strength available, my grandma has to be assisted in the simple tasks that most of us take for granted. As Torey handed the computer to my grandma, I couldn't hold back the tears. She was lying in bed, and wasn't looking very well. As she saw the tears in my eyes, she told me how she would be able to see my grandpa again and that everyone has their time to go. Although those weren't the words I wanted to hear, they did offer a little comfort. I talked to my grandma for a while and then decided I better let my sisters skype her, so I told her that I loved her and that I would talk to her later. As I sat in sacrament meeting the next day and listened to the testimonies of others, I couldn't stop thinking about trust. All I can do right now is put my trust in the Lord because I know that he has a plan and that things will work out for the better, even if they aren't the way I want them to go. When I think about the conditions my grandma is in right now, as she is fighting lung cancer along with two brain tumors, I truly find comfort in the knowledge that we will not suffer anymore once we leave this earth. Our body will return to its perfect condition, and my grandma will not be in pain anymore. I have no idea how much longer the Lord will allow her to stay on this earth with us, but I do know that the Lord hears and answers our prayers in accordance to the plan that he has created for us. I know that I can trust in the Lord because he is one thing that will never change. No matter the circumstances he will always be there for me, encouraging me to push through the hard times so I can make it to the top and enjoy the wonderful view-- Just as Allyson did as my belayer when rock climbing.
"Trust:  reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of person or thing; confidence"
Me and my Grandma Brown after my high school graduation 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lyndsey,
    You put my blog to shame. I try to share "words of wisdom", but when I read your blogs they are just so much better than mine in so many ways. Your share wisdom and gospel principals that help us to grow. For this I am grateful. I couldn't have asked for a better blog to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful that I am a member of this true gospel and have the knowledge that my Savoir loves me so much and that I can trust him no matter what. He loves us so much and always wants what is best for us.

    ReplyDelete