Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Seeing and Listening to the Prophet of God-- What an AMAZING experience!!

I knew from the moment that I woke up, that today was going to be a great day! I didn't have class this morning so I was able to get up and head to the Marriott Center early. One of my friends had been standing in line at 8:00 and me and one if my roomies decided to go and join him. It was raining and cold outside so we made sure to bundle up. As we arrived at the Marriott Center, it made me smile when I saw a couple hundred umbrellas and students all lined up waiting to get good seats. As the doors opened at 9:30, everyone walked a little quicker than normal, and luckily my friends and I were able to get really good seats! We we right in the middle section in row 21. While we were waiting, I decided that I would do my Book of Mormon assignment and I also started writing a letter to my friend who is on his mission. The piano was being tuned, the choir was warming up, there was a constant stream of people filing to different seats, and their was a feeling of excitement in the air. As the piano began to play and everyone began standing up, my heart began beating so fast. When I saw Thomas S. Monson, the Prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I couldn't help but smile. It was also exciting to see his daughter Ann M. Dibb as well as Russell M. Nelson!
As President Monson spoke inspired words, there was no doubt in my mind that he truly was the Prophet of God! His smile is contagious, and his humor keeps everybody interested. Here are a few thoughts that I wrote down as I listened to him speak.
     *The followers of Christ should be lights to the world
     * light = something that illuminates
     * "Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."
     * Keep our lights shining bright - for others to see and follow
     * We are spiritual beings having a physical experience
     * It is up to each of us to develop the faith needed to survive
     * Faith and doubt cannot exist at the same time in the same mind
     * When you choose to follow Christ you choose to be changed
     * "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your father which is in heaven"   
     * Our opportunities to shine are limitless, they surround us every day
One of the things that stuck with me the most was when he quoted the Disney movie The Lion King. He applied them to us today as he told us "You are more than what you have become. Remember who you are! You are sons and daughters of God!" I will never forget this wonderful experience and especially the peace and reassurance I felt!!

1 comment:

  1. I also loved attending this devotional and I was excited when I saw that his daughter had also attended. Last year, I was lucky enough to have his daughter Ann M. Dibb visit and speak to the young women of my stake. Her talk was wonderful and as I had the chance to meet her I realized how truly beautiful and loving she really was.

    ReplyDelete