Wednesday, October 5, 2011

We are being raised in enemy territory!

General Conference was absolutely amazing! I felt the spirit so much and definitely heard messages that seemed to be directed right for me. My home teachers challenged me to write down some questions that I have been thinking about lately, and it helped me stay focused on the messages that were being shared. One of my favorite talks was given in the Saturday morning session.

As Elder Boyd K. Packer's face appeared on the screen, I couldn't help but smile and express to my roommates just how cute I thought he was! From the very beginning of his talk, I knew who he was addressing when he said, "I speak to the youth more personally than I usually do, comparing my youth to yours". After he started his talk this way, I began thinking of the world we live in today. As he told the rising generation that we are being raised in enemy territory, he developed pathos by relating it to something that is familiar to all of us. Along with this analogy, he mentioned the fact that we "need not fail or fear". This message of hope also increased his pathos as it gave the audience the hope and encouragement that we are able to survive these enemy territories. Another statement that helped develop motivation to the audience, was when he said, "all beings who have bodies, have power over those who do not" (referring to the adversary).

Being the President of the Quorum Twelve Apostles creates a lot of logos for Elder Packer. As he speaks as a mouthpiece for the Lord, we know and understand that the message he is delivering is something of great importance. Being 87, he also speaks from personal experience. As the world around us becomes more and more wicked, he talked about the Holy Ghost and how it can help us in our lives. He stressed the importance of always listening for the voice that is felt rather than heard. Elder Packer then said something that really stuck out to me: "you will not make a major mistake without first being prompted by the Holy Ghost". Knowing that this statement came from a servant of God, made that statement seem more important. No matter how busy our lives get, we need to remember to always be listening for the Holy Ghost to guide us. As youth, we have many important decisions ahead of us and it gives us comfort and confidence that as we continue through this life, we will always have the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

As Elder Boyd K. Packer's bore his testimony at the end of his talk, I felt the spirit and knew that the things which he spoke were true. He left us with words of encouragement and advice as he told us to take hold of ourselves and strive to be better as well as to always remember that we are never far from the side of the Savior. I know that whenever we need help our Savior is always there to help us if we are humble enough to ask. Let us have the faith and courage to stand up for what we believe in in our enemy territory and always be able to hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost and act accordingly.

A poem that Elder Packer included in his talk that I enjoyed:

ABOUT CROWS
by John Ciardi

The old crow is getting slow; 
the young crow is not.
Of what the young crow does not know,
the old crow knows a lot.

At knowing things, the old crow is still
the young crow?s master.
What does the old crow not know? 
How to go faster.

The young crow flies above, below, and rings
around the slow old crow.
What does the fast young crow not know?
WHERE TO GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment